Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Analogies

I was thinking about some ways to get me and my counselor on the same page and decided to use analogies. Since she loves to use them while explaining her point.. but usually she takes a bit too long and i get impatient :)

Its like I am learning to swim in a pool and am scared of water, and she is my trainer, but she is always on the pool side, never inside the pool. If she cannot even extend her hand a bit to help me and get a tiny bit of the water splashed on her in the process, then I dont know if she will ever be able to understand. It also indicates too much indifference I would think..

Do counselors and other doctors like surgeons eventually exhaust their supply of understanding, sympathy and empathy.. ? because of their constant exposure to so much pain every day every hour.. and hence the indifference?

1 comment: