- 76 percent of all U.S. farmland is used only to graze livestock. That’s 614 million acres of pasture, 157 million acres of public land and 127 million acres of forest.
- In addition to the above, if you also factor in the land used to grow feed for animals, a staggering 97 percent of U.S. agricultural land is devoted to sustaining livestock and poultry.
- Animals raised for food create 89,000 pounds of manure per second, causing extensive groundwater pollution.
- 30 percent of the entire land surface of the Earth is used by livestock.
- 70 percent of Amazon deforestation is directly due to clearing land to provide livestock grazing area.
- 33 percent of the world’s arable land is used to produce feed only for livestock.
- More than 70 percent of the crops we grow in the U.S. are produced just to feed meat-producing livestock.
- 70 percent of available water is used for growing crops, most of which feed livestock, not people.
- It takes 13 pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat.
Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/the-skyrocketing-business-of-vegan-food-aims-to-save-the-world.html#ixzz2ph9QOCYp