Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
Heather Mills McCartney has issued a consumer alert about several top fashion brands whose fur garments may be made of dog and cat fur. At a news conference inside the New York Fashion Week tents, Mills McCartney—wife of former Beatle Sir Paul—screened a graphic video of animals in China being skinned alive for their pelts and unveiled her new PETA ad campaign, “If You Wouldn’t Wear Your Dog, Please Don’t Wear Any Fur.”
Tommy Hilfiger, DKNY, and Sean John manufacture fur or fur-trimmed garments in China, whose fur industry has just eclipsed all other countries combined to become the world’s leading supplier of fur to the United States. Millions of foxes, raccoons, minks, rabbits—and, yes, dogs and cats—are killed in China in ways that would shock unsuspecting consumers because there is not a single animal protection law in the country.
“Consumers who find themselves favoring fur because it’s cheap are in for a shock when they find out that it’s at the expense of animals who are literally skinned alive,” says McCartney. “Buying anything with fur supports one of the most gruesome industries on the planet.”
A year-long undercover investigation concluded earlier this year captured video footage of fur farmers in China swinging raccoons and foxes by their hind legs and smashing their heads into the ground—breaking the animals’ necks or backs but leaving them completely conscious, panting and blinking as they are skinned alive.
Raw fur pelts from China often move through international auctions where their origins can be mislabeled as other types of fur. Dog and cat fur is indistinguishable from that of other animals—only a DNA test can reveal its real source—so the best solution is to avoid wearing any fur.
Please, please just do not buy anything made of Fur. We dont need such cruel embellishments to look good!
Monday, August 09, 2010
* "B12 and the Vegan Diet: All You Need To Know About Vitamin B12 in Vegetarian and Vegan Diets" by Dr Justine Butler:
* "Vitamin B12: Are you getting it?"
* "The Vitamin B12 Issue" by Dr Gina Shaw:
* "Vitamin B12 Importance" by Dr Gabriel Cousens:
* "What every vegan should know about vitamin B12" by Stephen Walsh Ph.D:
* "The Protein Myth: Why vegetarian and vegan diets contain all the protein that you need" by Amanda Woodvine, BSc Nutrition:
* "Vegan Protein Sources" by Thomas Stearns Lee:
* "Protein in the Vegan Diet" by Reed Mangels:
* "Quinoa: A Great Vegetarian Protein Source":
* "The Queen of Protein, Quinoa!"
* "Hemp Protein" by Jennifer Walker, BSc (Nutr.):
* "Ironing out the facts: Why plant iron is best" by Dr Justine Butler:
* "Iron in the Vegan Diet" by Reed Mangels:
* "Boning up on Calcium! Why Plant Calcium is Best" by Dr Justine Butler:
* "Are you getting too much calcium?" by Micki Misiaszek, RD, LDN:
* "Health risks from excessive calcium" by the National Institute of Health:
VEGAN ETHICS / ANIMAL RIGHTS / ENVIRONMENT:
* Vegan Ethics (various booklets)
* Abolitionist Approach (pamphlet)
* "The Dark Side of Dairy"
* "Environmental Degradation"
* "Greenhouse Emissions and exacerbated Climate Change"
* "UN urges global move to meat and dairy-free diet"
* "Expanding Our Compassion Footprint: Minding Animals As We Redecorate Nature" by Marc Bekoff:
* "Why 'Good Welfare' Isn't 'Good Enough': Minding Animals and Increasing Our Compassionate Footprint" by Marc Bekoff:
* "The Problem of the 'Welfarist' Approach: The 'humane' myth of effectively regulating ongoing abuse"
* "Minding the Animals: Ethology and the Obsolescence of Left Humanism" by Dr Steve Best:
* "Revolutionary Environmentalism: An Emerging New Struggle for Total Liberation" by Dr Steve Best:
* "The Misleading Language of Species-ism" by Joan Dunayer (intro by David Catherine):
* "First Strike: The Connection Between Animal Cruelty and Human Violence"
* "Empathy is What Really Sets Vegetarians Apart (at least Neurologically Speaking)" by Daniel R. Hawes:
* "Rational Ignorance and Rational Irrationality" by Dan Cudahy
* "The Comparative Anatomy of Eating" by Milton R. Mills (MD):
* "A-Z Of Hidden Nasties! Alphabetical Glossary of Animal Substances" by Juliet Gellatley, Director of VVF and Laura Scott, MSc Nutrition:
* "The Safety of Soya" by Dr Justine Butler, VVF Senior Health Campaigner:
* Vegan Factsheets (various):
BLOG-SITES FOR VEGAN / ANIMAL RIGHTS :
* "Unpopular Vegan Essays" by Dan Cudahy:
* "Abolitionist Animal Rights" by James Crump:
* "Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach" by Gary Francione:
* "On Human-Nonhuman Relations: A Sociological Exploration of Speciesism" by Roger Yates:
* "My Face Is on Fire: Abolitionist vegan education, animal rights issues and the misrepresentation of veganism in pop culture or mainstream media":
* "Thomas Paine's Corner: Comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable" (various authors/editors):
* "Vegetarianism, Environmentalism, Animal Rights, and Social Theory" by Dr Steve Best:
* "The Earth Blog: Giving The Earth A Future " by Keith Farnish:
* "The Permavegan: A conversation at the intersection of plant-based nutrition, permaculture, and vegan ethics" by Jonathan Maxson:
* "Earthlings" (3 trailers, plus full version)
* "Meet Your Meat"
* "The Milk Documentary"
* "Dr. Jay Gordon: No one needs meat for health"
* The Witness" (trailer excerpt)
* "The Witness" (full version)
Saturday, May 01, 2010
- We wake up, brush our teeth. -That toothpaste and the ingredients were tested on animals.
- Have a bath..- That soap, facial cleanser, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel were tested on some poor rabbits.
- Get ready, wear some nice clothes, shoes - The wool, fur, silk came from animals who lead a tortured life. That leather shoe could be that dog, your neighbor lost as a kid, which ended up in china.. for its meat and skin and any possible use that can be made out of it.
- Fix hair..do some makeup/shave..- The sprays, mousse, foam, cosmetics were all tested on animals.. There are labs out there, with tons of animals, who have to live a horrid life of getting things injected in their body, eyes, ears and more, just so we can get that new lipstick from this seasons new collection.
- Cook up some breakfast..some nice eggs and bread with some hot tea..- The eggs come from factory farmed hens and the milk from cows who have udders 5 times the size of what they actually should be. With that much milk in their udders, they are in constant pain and have constant infections and hence all the hormones and antibiotics which end up in our system.
- Get to office, get coffee and eat and drink meat, cheese, butter and milk and other combinations of the same. - All factory farmed.
- Get home, cook dinner, clean the kitchen, do the dishes or the laundry..- The household cleaners, dish soap, laundry detergent.. and their ingredients were all tested on animals and still are.. for every new one that comes out.
- Watch something for entertainment like some animals in a circus, animal fights etc( oh yes, the supreme court thinks that dog fight videos are not cruel. They overturned a ban on those videos just last week) Animals in circuses have the worst life ever. Always chained and tortured to perform for our entertainment.
- Eat some desserts, ice creams, and head to bed..- all the creamy cakes, the frosting, cream, butter, eggs, milk.. all factory farmed. We consume so much dairy in a day.. ever think , out of the milk a cow produces..how much does its calf get?
Do change the meat, milk, eggs, cheese to these humane brands and those happy animals will send a big thanks to you. There is hardly a difference in the prices and some of the brands are readily available in the regular grocery store. The big difference is that these are from an animal who had a decently happy life till its eventual slaughter.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
- The cuddly little scared thing waiting in some kennel at a shelter somewhere will get a chance to live in a warm home and a chance at adoption.
- The little thing who is scheduled to get that injection which will suck the life out of him, will get another chance to find someone who he can call home
- The scared and confused thing will be calmer and happier, and will give you and everyone he meets, all the love back and hence be more adoptable than the scared and snappy one he is at the shelter
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
She got adopted on Feb 14th.. Wish her the bestest of life!!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly.. "I have done something," He replied.
"I created You."
Thursday, January 07, 2010
- Amoré Pet Services, Inc., 1-866-572-6673; www.amorepetfoods.com
- Animal Food Services, 1-800-743-0322; www.animalfood.com
- Artemis Pet Food, 1-800-282-5876; www.artemiscompany.com
- Azmira Holistic Animal Care, 1-800-497-5665; www.azmira.com
- Bone Vivant, www.bonevivantstore.com
- Boston Baked Bonz (entirely vegan), 781-752-4040; www.bostonbakedbonz.com
- Bravo Raw Diet, 1-866-922-9222; www.bravorawdiet.comn
- Burns Pet Nutrition, 1-877-983-9651; www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk
- CaniSource, 1-888-347-3523; www.canisource.com
- CountryPet Pet Food, 1-800-454-7387; www.countrypet.com
- Dr. Harvey's, 1-866-362-4123; www.drharveys.com
- Dynamite Marketing, Inc., 208-887-9410; www.dynamitemarketing.com
- Eagle Pack, 1-800-255-5959; www.eaglepack.com
- Evanger's Dog and Cat Food Co., Inc., 1-800-288-6796; www.evangersdogfood.com
- Evolution Diet, Inc. (entirely vegan), 1-800-659-0104; www.petfoodshop.com
- Feline's Pride, www.felinespride.com
- Fromm Family Foods, 1-800-325-6331; www.frommfamily.com
- Great Life Performance Pet Products, 1-800-470-2001; www.greatlife4pets.com
- GreenTripe.com, 831-726-3255; www.greentripe.com
- Halo, Purely for Pets, 1-800-426-4256; www.halopets.com
- Happy Dog Food, 1-800-359-9576; www.happydogfood.com
- Harbingers of a New Age (entirely vegan), 406-295-4944; www.vegepet.com
- Holistic Blend, 1-800-954-1117; www.holisticblend.com
- The Honest Kitchen, 1-866-437-9729; www.thehonestkitchen.com
- Know Better Dog Food, 1-866-922-6463; www.knowbetterdogfood.com
- KosherPets, Inc., 954-938-6270; www.kosherpets.com
- Kumpi Pet Foods, 303-699-8562; www.kumpi.com
- Mark & Chappell, 1-866-547-3368; www.markandchappell.com
- Max & Ruffy's, 703-465-4481; www.maxandruffys.com
- Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. (vegan options), 1-800-829-4493; www.naturalbalanceinc.com
- Natural Life Pet Products, Inc. (vegan options), 1-800-367-2391; www.nlpp.com
- Nature's Variety, 1-888-519-7387; www.naturesvariety.com
- Newman's Own Organics, www.newmansownorganics.com
- Nutri-Vet, 1-877-729-8668; www.nutri-vet.com
- Oma's Pride, 1-800-678-6627; www.omaspride.com
- Onesta Organics (entirely vegan), 619-295-1136; www.onestaorganics.com
- Pet Chef Express, 604-916-2433; www.petchefexpress.ca
- PetGuard (vegan options), 1-800-874-3221, 904-264-8500; www.petguard.com
- Pied Piper Pet & Wildlife, 1-800-338-4610; www.piedpiperpet.com
- PoshNosh Inc., 613-302-3156; www.poshnosh.ca
- Raw Advantage, Inc., 360-387-5158; www.rawadvantagepetfood.com
- Sauder Feeds, Inc., 260-627-2196; www.sauderfeeds.com
- Solid Gold, 1-800-364-4863; www.solidgoldhealth.com
- Sojourner Farms, 1-888-867-6567; www.sojos.com
- Timberwolf Organics, Inc., 863-439-0049; www.timberwolforganics.com
- V-dogfood, LLC (entirely vegan), 1-888-280-8364; www.v-dogfood.com
- Veterinary Nutritional Formula, 1-800-811-0530; www.vnfpetfood.com
- Want A Cookie?, 250-665-7387; www.wantacookie.ca
- Wow-Bow Distributors Ltd. (vegan options), 516-254-6064; www.wow-bow.com
- Wysong Professional Diets (vegan options), 1-800-748-0188; www.wysong.net
Tuesday, January 05, 2010
Phew! Crazy December.. I have to put up a more comprehensive list of cruelty free bath, body, kitchen, house items and also include a list of vegan options. I did manage to make part of the list and wrote to a couple of companies to clarify on their animal testing policies. But this is going to take time and having an untrained foster puppy does take up almost all of the time!!
He loves running in the yard and loves being with other dogs. He has an adorable under bite. He looks more like a chihuahua and has a pekingese jaw structure with the underbite and long floppy ears. He looks like Yoda from StarWars when he lifts his ears to listen to you :)