Wednesday, May 04, 2016

People

I get all sorts of feedback on the recipes on the blog and esp my book. Some of the feedback is about how there isn't enough variety in the flavors and options in the recipes. With the book, it was a hard problem to solve. Have more new recipes with all new flavors from regional cuisines, or add more of versions of favorite meals or restaurant style sauces. There are many regional options esp in the Veggies and Dals Chapters and many restaurant style meals in the Mains. But of course the balance is not going to be perfect for everyone.

It is obvious that many people try out the recipes that they are familiar with, have tasted before or atleast know the names of. So most of the regional  recipes or recipes that need some specific ingredients are made by fewer people and made after trying out other recipes. So how can someone who has not yet tried those options interpret that there aren't enough options? Of course some recipes will taste similar. They are from the same cuisine.

With this new world of social media, everyone is open to express their options (and sometimes demands).

Somedays, it gets disheartening that the only comments on a blog post are about asking me how the recipe can be made something-free. I understand that people cannot always eat everything. I cannot either and I also understand the difficulties with it and try to provide options whenever possible.
But seriously 1- read the post, half the answers are already there ( there are similar recipes on the blog already that are "something"-free depending on what you are looking for and they are generally linked on the post), 2- ask nicely, instead of leaving rude comments about how the recipe "sucks" because it is not "something"-free. (yes, there are several comments on the blog with 1 star rating and on social media about how things suck or pity it isnt something!)

It gets to me somedays, because I literally am scared to post something for the fear of getting many comments and having to deal with them.



8 comments:

  1. Why worry about those kinds of comments? There will always be someone out there to be impolite or just make stupid irrelevant observations, we are so many on the net. The only way to deal with them IMHO is to ignore them.
    Do you really think they deserve your attention?

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marta, I think most of the comments are there because they are interested in the recipe, but have allergies and limitations. I understand that it is a difficult situation sometimes with the allergies. So i do try to provide the options. and I also try to ignore the impolite comments. all this comes with being in the food blogging field I guess and eventually it will all be a day's work done without emotions :).

      Delete
  2. Yes of course I was only talking about the rude ones.
    Better would not be a day's work done without emotions, but keeping the good emotions only. :)
    Marta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can seed how it would be annoying! So many people don't want to try and do the research themselves (to come up with substitutions). Instead it's easier to ask you to do it for them and then complain when it's not to their liking. It's an attitude of entitlement that is far too common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not annoying, but more depressing. The blog, recipes, photography are hard work. Can you imagine getting multiple comments on the blog with 1 star rating because the recipe is not gf or oil-free, even when I already have gf recipe for similar food and oil-free options linked on the post.
      I agree about the entitlement going too far these days.

      Delete
    2. I just discovered your personal blog after your cooking blog and your book. I am not really a blog reader but I can see the comments on social media and news websites and I sometimes wonder what they are supposed to achieve. I just don't get it. You guided me on the vegan path of eating, you helped me learn how to limit oil/sugar in my cooking, you made me discover spices I had never heard of and I am very grateful for that. You are SO creative! Richa, you simply rock! Kate

      Delete
  4. Richa you are my go to chef!! My husband is a vegan and I love using your recipes to make him and our friends truly soulful food. Sometimes when something is free, people don't realize the value, and will act ungrateful or demanding. You're doing good work here though! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete