Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The tale of the clink in the microwave

One fine Sunday afternoon, it was decided that we eat the leftovers from Saturday night carry out, from Taste of India. A freshly washed La-Opala plate from the dishwasher was taken, the Lamb Butter masala and Mango Chicken were lavishly dumped on the plate, and the plate was sent into the microwave for an initial warming of 1 minute.

The sumptuous paneer naan was taken out of the refrigerator while the microwave went about trying to warm the cold and very fatty substance on the plate. About 2 seconds before the minute, a clink was heard from the microwave. Initially the clink was dismissed as a sudden movement of the plate on the round glass holding plate/tray of the microwave. The door of the microwave was opened and a hand reached out to pick up the La-opala opal glass plate, which had all the goods on it.

And viola, the plate that came out had a big hole in it, the hole the size of the goods. A shriek was heard in the house. More investigation revealed that the goods i.e the Lamb and the Chicken were still nicely sitting in the microwave, but hey, they had not spilled on the round microwave tray, they were still hoisted on the weird shaped part of the plate. The whole thing was taken out and the food was dumped into a trash can. The part of the plate which now looked a bit like Australia with a handle, was washed and examined. It seemed to have a perfectly cut edge which was not very sharp! Quite interesting!

The Australia with a handle was saved for decoration purposes and a decision was made to eat something else. Quite an entertaining day that!

Here is my theory on what happened:
The La-opala plate is opal glass material like Corelle. The plate was warm when taken from the dishwasher. The Lamb and Chicken were quite cold. When in the microwave, the loads of fat in the curry got super heated at the border of the food. So the plate was cold under the food, warm outside and super hot at the edge of the food. Voila glass hot and cold effect and a clink. This has never happened on a ceramic plate..!!
Microwaves are dangerous!!

1 comment:

  1. i once had an egg and bang effect on my microwave too :).

    ReplyDelete