We 6 billion humans are clogging up this beautiful planet.. not just with our population and buildings and cars.. but with the GARBAGE! And are using up all the resources in excess like there is no future!!
We, as Indians, have come from a less consumer oriented background. I remember mom always saving evverything from food and water to clothes and bags for reuse. We have always been taught to reuse and never use in excess, hence automatically hardly using things like plastic bags or bottles. After being in this country of excessive consumption and consumerism and accessibility( plastic water bottles everywhere!), I think we have forgotten our roots and all the knowledge that was imbibed in our growing brains just a few years back!
It is high time that we and everyone we can reach, make some changes to save not only our beautiful planet, but ourselves and our future generations!
So here are the things V and me have already done
- Grocery Totes ( we end us getting 5-6 plastic bags each weekend. Thats 312 plastic bags each year per family of our size. Just within our friend circle , that is 5000 non bio-degradable plastic bags, which will end up clogging some beautiful place like the pacific ocean -The Great pacific Dump )
- CFL bulbs: Use 75% less energy and lasts 10 times longer!
- Environmentally friendly Seventh Generation Carpet Stain Remover -( house hold cleaners add toxic materials to the air, water, your house and your body. Some of them have already been connected to autism, brain disorders, allergies, cancer!)
- Simply Green all purpose cleaner for kitchen and bathroom.
- Bio-degradable poop bags for Chewie( he poops twice a day and he has been with us almost 15 months.. Thats 900 plastic bags saved!!! cost: only 8$ for 120 bags on amazon)
- Toilet flush (Added a leak sentry and controlled water flow fill-valve assembly. Half of the world does not have water to drink, and we here waste water in things like a leaky flush or tap and have bubble baths! As the saying goes, A drop at a time will make an ocean. Save Water!! Cost just 6$ more than the usual fill valve)
- Reusable water bottles!- This is the simplest step to eliminate plastic water bottles from daily use!
- Recycle, Recycle: Paper, Cans, plastic!
- This is the current list that comes to mind. Will add more later.
What all we have to do: Working list
- Put in aerators in all taps( Aerators reduce the water consumption of the house, but you will still get good pressure from the taps/shower heads! Reduced water consumption and reduced water heating bill!!
- Change our laundry detergent and dishwasher soap to environmentally friendly brands.
- Bio-degradable Trash bags( once the huge costco set gets over)
- Smart power Strip: it switches off when connected appliances are not in use.75% of the power used in home electronics is used when they are turned off.. the computer, TV, monitor etc!!
- Recycled paper towels, paper napkins
- Biodegradable food storage and cutlery: Whenever we have a party we end up using a lot of plastic disposable plates, cutlery, cups etc. The aim now, is to eliminate as much plastic as possible from the Kitchen!
- Energy efficient appliances: This is a big step, so we have to plan this depending on how long we will be in this house:)
- More to come!
Some more ideas at
and lots more.. Bing "go green" or "living green" !!
The blue marble: Picture courtesy NASA